Arizona State University - Dean of Social Sciences
Arizona State University invites applications for Dean of Social Sciences in The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (The College) with a concurrent appointment as tenured Professor in an academic unit within the Social Sciences division of The College. Appointment will be located on the Tempe campus. The salary is competitive.
The Social Sciences division within The College is robust and diverse, made up of nine transdisciplinary schools, five centers and numerous undergraduate and graduate degree programs. The schools facilitate the creation of new knowledge by bringing together multiple related disciplines. For more information see http://thecollege.asu.edu/
The Dean of Social Sciences is a member of the Provost’s Deans Council and reports to the Provost and to the Dean of The College. The successful candidate for this position will be an academic innovator with the ability to engage faculty, students and the wider community in envisioning 21st century models of liberal arts education and research. We seek an enthusiastic advocate for the Social Sciences inside and outside the University. The Dean of Social Sciences will work closely with the Dean of The College, the Deans of Humanities and Natural Sciences and the faculty and staff to achieve university goals for excellence in scholarship, research and learning; for national prominence and impact; and for accomplishments in inclusion, social embeddedness and diversity. Responsibilities include: faculty recruitment, development, promotion and retention; managing and growing student enrollments; student academic affairs; planning; fiscal management; development; planning and implementation of degree programs; budgeting and management of funds, strategic planning and promotion of faculty scholarship, research and external funding.
A successful candidate will exhibit leadership and strategic vision with:
- A record of innovative leadership in an academic environment
- An excellent record of research, scholarship and teaching
- Qualifications for appointment as Professor with tenure in an academic unit in the Social Sciences division of The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at ASU
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility
- Experience as a chair or director of an academic unit, or other high level administrative leadership experience
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting excellence in research and scholarship
- Demonstrated commitment to serving the needs of a diverse student population and/or reaching out to diverse communities
- Demonstrated understanding of the research, instructional and service needs of a large and diverse college
- Experience with fundraising, grant development and/or cultivation of external professional partnerships
- Experience managing student enrollments
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting inter/transdisciplinary approaches within the social sciences
- Commitment to the ideals of ASU’s mission and charter: https://www.asu.edu/about/charter-mission
Arizona State University is a research-intensive university with outstanding research facilities and infrastructure support. Recently ranked number one as the nation’s most innovative school, the university’s location within the large and fast-growing Phoenix region provides a rich context for applied research and community engagement.
The College values our cultural and intellectual diversity, and continually strives to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment. We are especially interested in applicants who can strengthen the diversity of the academic community.
To nominate a colleague or for informal inquiries, please contact ASUDeanSocialSciences@wittkieffer.com. All nominee names will be kept confidential.
To apply, submit the following using the buttons below 1) curriculum vitae and 2) a letter that highlights important qualifications outlined in the leadership profile, which can be found on the top right corner of this page, and the basis of interest in the position. All application materials will be held in confidence. For full consideration, the deadline for receipt of applications is Thursday, September 15, 2022. A background check is required for employment.
ASU is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. Further information on ASU’s policies can be found at https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html and its complete non-discrimination statement at https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/.
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
COVID-19 Vaccination – Arizona State University is a federal contractor and subject to federal regulations which may require you to produce a record of a COVID-19 vaccination. For questions about medical or religious accommodations, please visit the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion’s webpage.