Managing Partner and Practice Leader, Healthcare
Get What You Deserve: Steps Toward Equitable Pay
By Donna Padilla and Joyce De Leo, Ph.D.
Women and people of color have made strides toward pay equity in leadership roles, but more progress is needed. It can be difficult for individual executives to lobby for fair compensation, yet it is important to do so.
Developed in collaboration with NALHE, the National Association of Latino Healthcare Executives, this article, shares the following recommendations towards ensuring your pay is equitable and balanced with others who have your skills and abilities:
- As a best practice, do not provide your current compensation as you pursue a new position.
- Sharpen your salary expectations.
- Educate yourself about what a position should command.
- Go beyond salary.
- Take into account the geographic location of the position.
- Understand the connection between position type and compensation.